Foundry Google Fonts
Please read this section carefully if you plan on changing the fonts used by the theme.
Google fonts are the only tricky part of the theme options, the reason for this is that we've chosen a simple integration of this rather than a huge resource-hogging implementation that's going to slow your server down. The negative of this is that our font control option is a tiny bit trickier than some others, but hey, you probably only change your fonts once and my implementation makes your server faster than most themes!
Foundry gives you 2 areas that you can change the font for, Body and Headings, if you want a fast page load, make these all the same font, if you use 2 different fonts be prepared that this means 2 times the font data to download.
Ok, here's how you change your theme fonts to another Google Font:
- Navigate to the fonts section of the theme options via "appearance" -> "customise" => "Foundry: Styling Settings" -> "Fonts"
- In the description of the "fonts" section, click the link to take you to the google fonts website
- Whilst on the Google fonts website, try to just choose 1 font at a time to save you some hassle.
- To choose a font, click the "Add to collection" button, once you've done this you'll get a grey bar on the bottom of the page, click the "Use" button.
- In the next window you can review the font weights you wish to include, and any font-subsets you may need, check boxes for these, but do it sparingly!
- Now see step 3 & 4 on the Google Fonts page you're currently viewing, first let's use step 4 to fill in our "Font" option, so if step 4 says this:
font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif;
Then we just want to use the value that's inside the quotations, so we would enter this for our option:
- Next, let's use step 3 to fill in our "Font URL" option, from step 3 click the "@import" tab (it's easier to look at) and see the font URL like this:
From that, we're just interested in the actual URL, so in the theme option we'd add:
<a href="http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans" rel="nofollow">http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans</a>
That's it! Save your options and if you've done this correctly your fonts will update to your new choices, you can't really go wrong here, but see the default values below if you need to roll back and start again.
Here's the default settings for this area:
Body Font: Open Sans
Body Font URL: http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:300italic,400italic,400,300,600,700
Heading Font: Raleway
Heading Font URL: http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Raleway:100,400,300,500,600,700